Sunday 7 September 2014

Chestnut Tree 10k Coastal Run, Littlehampton

When I first started Couch to 5k, I gave myself goals to achieve to ensure I kept running. I registered for the Race for Life 5k and also Chestnut Tree House 10k. The latter would also step up my mileage in preparation for the huge runs.

Last year I watched my closest friend, along with another good friend run the Chestnut Tree House 10k. I enjoyed supporting them, and had fun with my girls cheering and shaking pom-poms, making up silly cheerleader style songs to try and keep those runners going.  I watched with pride as they crossed the finish line, but that was all. There was not a hint of envy or wanting to do it myself! I was quite happy being the support crew.

This year was slightly different. Actually, it is hugely different. If someone had told me after their run last year that not only would I be on the start line today, I would be keen and eager to go and hoping for a personal best, or that my PB would be under an hour, I would have just laughed. I wouldn't have believed that I could run 10k in a day, let alone an hour.

I was really nervous this morning, even though I knew I was well prepared, and that I had trained hard. My training at the moment is really for the Great South Run (10 miles / 16 km) but a 10k fits nicely in. We were up and ready early. Husband had to help me clip my race number onto the front of my vest because I was shaking so much! I was so pleased to have my closest friend nearby and a quick hug to say good luck, and to have my running buddy beside me at the start line.

One of the things I love most about L (apart from her filthy laugh and sense of humour!) is that she pushes me to be the best I can be. This morning was no exception. We started the run together, but when I needed to stretch my legs out and increase my pace to go for my PB she was nothing less than supportive and encouraging.

The course was a little harder than I had been expecting. Running on the road was fine, and I felt strong and comfortable with the pace I was running. My family and another good friend were waiting for me, so I had to manage a little sprint across the road to make sure I high-fived each of my cheering daughters. They really spurred me on and lifted my spirits; I was determined not to let negative thoughts get in my way, and looking out to sea at the yachts from the sailing club was a welcome distraction. I passed the point where we stood last year cheering, and had a little smile to myself. It felt good to be the runner and not the spectator.

I am not used to running on grass at all, and I found the park tricky to run in, but I was determined not to lose my pace. I tried hard to keep a good balance of a decent speed but not running past myself too early on. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the 4km distance marker, and thought 'Whoopie! That's nearly half way!', but didn't dare peek at the time on my watch in case I was way off target. I didn't enjoy running through the park much, and I could see other runners being wary of the loose dogs nearby. There were a couple of points where the course narrowed down or passed through small entrances, and I found myself getting boxed in by other runners, some slower, and it made keeping a rhythm to my pace difficult. The biggest challenge was the short run on the pebble beach. L and I have had really short attempts at running on pebbles and I hate it. Her advice worked though, and by keeping my knees high I got across it.

The water stations were plentiful and well manned, and I thought that the little ones who had volunteered were all little stars, doing their bit. However, the water was in cups rather than bottles which made it virtually impossible to drink while running, so I was glad I had my own bottle with me. The water was great for cooling off, and at each station I took a cup to pour down my back. My other brilliant idea of taking a travel size spray bottle with water in worked well, and I misted myself on several occasions which helped with the increasing warmth from the morning sun. I don't seem to sweat very much so having the water over me helped to keep cool.

The next distance marker I saw was 8km, which took me by surprise! I was a bit concerned that I hadn't seen another after 4km, and that just meant I was going very sloooooooow! I still felt strong, and knowing that the end was nearing, I wanted to pick up the pace a bit again. This point was running on a fairly narrow path, and passing other runners was difficult so I had to wait until we were back out on the road again. This loop of the course would've been better in the first half of the course, I thought.

Back on the road I managed to get into some space and speed up. I did allow myself to look at my watch at this point, but somehow misjudged the distance I had left so thought that my chances of a PB had slipped away. This didn't phase me though, and I kept the pace. It was hard work, the sun was getting hotter, and it went through my mind that I had increased the speed to too much, too soon and that I wouldn't be able to maintain it until the finish.

My family were perfectly placed, and as soon as I was doubting myself there they were, shouting and cheering me on. I quickly glanced at my watch - 54 minutes with the finish line just about in sight. I gave them a thumbs up, dug deep into my boots and sped up.

From this point on, it hurt. My lungs were burning, my heart was thudding, and I was aware of a couple of stray tears coming down my cheek. So much of me wanted to stop, but my legs were in a good rhythm and they carried me on - despite the finish line seeming to never come any closer!

The crowds at the finish were great, and were cheering us all on. I pushed, and pushed, and knew I could do no more and there it was. FINISH. I had done it!

My hand was already on my Garmin watch as I crossed the finish line, so I stopped it as soon as my foot went over. 57:04.8 was on the screen, soon follwed by 'Fastest 10k'. I knew when I passed the girls that I was on course for a PB but I had a mixture of emotions seeing the figures on screen. Relief, excitement, pride... and the inability to breathe normally!

I was given my race bling - the all important medal! I found a space on the green to calm down, catch my breath and stretch out my tired legs. Happiness flooded through me, a sense of achievement and pride in myself. My phone buzzed with a text message from Husband to say where he was. I soon found him and the girls, and excitedly threw myself at him with a squeal of '57!!!'. My good friend was waiting with him, and her husband who had also finished in a PB time of 50 minutes. A few photos later, and we were ready to find L and M who were due to finish. I managed a quick text to The Boss, and from his response of 'Wahey! Well done you!' I am guessing he is pleased, too.

Being typically British, we saw a queue and joined it, not quite sure what it was for! It turned out to be for the chip timing, so we waited to see what the official race timing had my finishing time as. My eldest daughter entered my race number and I was so disappointed to see my chip timing was slower than my watch had made me. It was only 40 seconds different, but that is the difference between a PB or not for me! Being a bit of a stats geek, I also had RunKeeper open on my phone which gave me a time of 57 minutes 30 seconds, so I decided to go with my own times. Well, they are better! I have also been using these times for other races, and today's times are better than those so still a PB. That's what I am sticking to, anyway!

Again I have to thank my lovely husband for his support today. He's allowed me an incredibly lazy afternoon, and knew just where I'd need him to be to get me through the run as well as I did. I adore him with every fibre of my body and soul, and I really don't care who knows!





No comments:

Post a Comment