Tuesday 20 January 2015

Gah! Injuries! Gah! Hospitals!

After a couple of weeks hard graft, I suppose an injury was high on the risk list, but I didn't think it was inevitable. My training plan is challenging but do-able, and following on from the runs I had done in December which were trouble free I wasn't expecting anything bad to happen.

The newest injury took me by surprise.- I was out on a planned long Sunday run, running with a friend who I hadn't been out with before. The route was local, familiar roads and I stuck to my intended slower pace and the 7 mile route I had mapped. It was a lovely run; cold but bright and a great opportunity to chat with my friend, a conversation which I really enjoyed and which melted the miles away.

We were on the home straight when a twinge in my right knee caught my attention. It wasn't there for the next few strides, so I ignored it. I carried on ignoring it until with every forward movement of my leg, the stabbing pain in my knee demanded attention. I mentioned it to my friend, but we were so close to completing the 7 miles and I didn't want to give up. I watched the countdown to 7 miles on my Garmin, and as soon as it turned I pressed stop. Knowing I had to be sensible and protect myself from any real damage I finished by walking home.

I felt a real mixture of emotions. Slightly embarrassed, very disappointed and a bit scared. It felt like another ailment to add to the increasingly lengthy list entitled 'Fail'. As the ankle injury was just a few months ago, the treatment was fresh in my mind. I got straight on with stretching out the affected knee and then spent the afternoon with it elevated, alternating heat and ice.

As soon as possible on Monday, I was on the phone booking an appointment with the sports physio. I normally avoid Dr. Google as much as possible, but the symptoms all pointed in the same direction - IT Band / iliotibial band problems. My knee has been an issue before, having had some kind of injury when I was playing hockey a lot at school, and taking part in many AAA competitions. When I first started running, my knees were sore and achy but I had the determination to get through it.

The physio confirmed my fears, IT band inflammation where it inserts into the knee. She treated it and taped it up and told me what every runner does not want to hear - don't run. I protested my case. Not running is not an option, I need to run, I need to complete my half marathon. The answer was swift; no, what you need is for your knee to be fully functioning.

I followed instructions. No running. The week passed quickly with my parents staying to help with childcare for E's hospital appointments, and the much anticipated hearing test prior to going to GOSH for the big assessment. Not being able to run means that I lose my stress buster, and I really could have done with running off my frustrations. E's audiology appointment confirmed what I knew already; the glue ear that her consultant at GOSH found in September hasn't cleared. I wasn't surprised as her hearing hasn't improved at all since then. A flurry of phonecalls to GOSH who were communicating with her consultant who was on the other side of the world, and also to the local hospital to try and book in with the consultant who was supposed to be in clinic on the morning of her audiology appointment but wasn't, established that the big assessment could not go ahead. I had a strange sense of disappointed acceptance. I felt let down by our hospital for the continuous need to chase, ask, push and anger at their 'mismanagement of E's hearing loss' (as described by GOSH), and the impending battle ahead of me. Over the last five years I have tormented myself with 'Why', and I can't imagine how I am going to feel if the simple answer turns out to be 'Because she couldn't hear'.

So, the days continue in much the same manner. A desperate hunt for running shoes which don't exacerbate the problems I am accruing (stereotypical old lady's feet... bunions... yuk...), and a mental battle with wanting to get out and run off the collision of negative thoughts in my head with the physical need to rest and repair. The most important thing, however; doing a good job of advocating E at her appointment this week where I meet her ENT consultant for the first time whilst politely holding him accountable for the failures of his team to make sure that E's hearing is healthy and functioning. Oh joy.







No comments:

Post a Comment