Sunday 17 August 2014

Introduction

I suppose a good place to start my new blog is an introduction to me, the challenge I have set myself and the inspirations behind my challenge.

I am a mum to 4 lovely girls, aged 10, almost 9, 6 and 2.  My 6 year old has complex learning difficulties and has recently been referred to Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital - her story so far will be the large basis to this blog, and is the main inspiration for my running challenge, along with her bigger sisters. They told me when I entered the half marathon that I shouldn't accept second best and to push for more. Which is how I came to have entered Brighton Marathon and then taken this one step further...

My biggest supporter is probably my long suffering husband. He is already tolerating me being out of the house for increasing periods of time while I am pounding the pavements. He is such a positive influence - even when I'm feeling my lowest, he can lift my spirits and give me the focus and strength to carry on. It be tiring, stressful and demanding caring for our girls on a daily basis but our determination to remain a team has seen us through the most testing of times.

Another important person to mention is my closest and dearest friend. I watched her cross the finish line of Brighton Marathon earlier this year - she inspired me to run, she gave me the determination to succeed, to achieve, and has been a constant source of strength and love while living with a child with a disability. 

Our families have supported my early efforts at running, and although I'm sure they think I'm slightly bonkers for doing all of this, I know that they will be there cheering me on and helping me to reach my fundraising target. 

So the challenge is quite simple. 100 miles in registered running events in one year. On October 26 I will begin my 100 Mile Running Challenge in the Great South Run, held not too far from my home town, in Portsmouth. The Challenge continues with the half marathon in February and the full marathon in April 2015. The Challenge finishes with my second attempt at the Great South in October 2015, and with the assistance of my new friend and running coach, we will fill in the final events / miles in the summer of 2015. I am aiming to raise £1000 for Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital with this challenge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment