Tuesday 19 August 2014

Sounds like a plan, Batman

Before I ran Race for Life and the 10k in London, I already had a long term goal planned and I had registered for two runs in Brighton. A half marathon in February and the full on 26.2 miles in April. I know several people who have taken on the marathon, so I knew that the training alone was a huge commitment, not just turning up on the day and running. At the beginning, I could never have imagined that I would have achieved a great level of fitness and stamina so quickly and registered for the Chestnut Tree House 10k thinking that I might just be able to do it come September.

I had been sensible and had my gait analysis done and had been fitted for proper running shoes, and was more than happy with my Brooks Ghosts. I had managed to run through early knee pains and niggles, and I was overjoyed that the knee pain had totally gone.

One of my husband's friends had recommended a local independent running shop if I needed any help or advice. I'm not sure why but I was really nervous about going in there, for any reason. I think it was fear of setting foot into a place where I didn't belong; in places like Sports Direct it was easy to hide amongst the tonnes of cheap sportswear, but in a 'proper' run shop I was sure that they would discover that I was a fraud!!

We did go in, and I was so wrong about the reception. Like the many runners I have come across as I have been out and about, the welcome was warm. Running is not an elite club. I have had more friendly smiles, nods and words of encouragement from other people out running than I could have hoped for. The manager of the store and I had a good chat, and he invited me back into the shop along with my running shoes and my training plan if I wanted any pointers. I think he described me to our mutual friend as 'that one with the million children following her'.

As I had outrun the C25K app and I was a bit unsure of what was next, I sent G an email asking if it was OK to go in for that chat; I couldn't find a training plan online that suited me and I needed help to safely train for the distances I had planned. The nerves about going in to see G were still there; his reputation as a runner and a coach are incredible and I was very aware of my novice status.

I really believe that the right people come into your life at the right time, and I am so glad that I ignored my nerves and went back to the shop. I was hopeful that G would share some of his experience and wisdom with me, and with another warm welcome he didn't disappoint. He did annoy me though as he frowned at my beloved Ghosts and told me they were too small... I chose to ignore him until I ran the 10k with a sore toe! He helped me through a weird ankle injury - who knew resting was so frustrating! - and he has continued to offer guidance and support as I plan the 100 Mile Challenge. G is also encouraging me to improve my 10k time and think about coming in under 60 minutes. I think he has more faith in me than I do, and I'd love to achieve a great time to reward the time he has spent coaching me, but we'll have to see what race day brings.

So, with the support of my family, words of encouragement from my running buddy and with "The Boss'" giving his usual quiet nod of approval, I hatched the plan to extend the Brighton plan to something a bit different. My running buddy had managed to convince me that running the Great South Run (10 Miles) in October was a good idea, and I had entered. Fundraising for the 10k alerted me to the generous, but slightly small audience I have to keep asking for sponsorship. I emailed the GOSH fundraising team, and they were more than happy for me to fundraise for all running events as one.

The Great South gives me a great beginning and end point for my challenge. The course is in Portsmouth, which is one of my favourite places to spend a day with my family. I enjoy shopping there too, and it holds many happy memories. The prospect of being one of 25,000 runners is slightly scary, but I am also looking forward to the atmosphere and spotting my support team in the crowds. I am not running this one for a time goal, but to enjoy and begin a challenge which I can only hope will raise plenty of pennies for GOSH.

Just in case you needed reminding (as if!) most, if not all, of my sponsorship is on JustGiving :)

No comments:

Post a Comment