Tuesday 26 August 2014

Sometimes the going just seems too tough.

This is one of my favourite and also the worst weeks of August.

Number 2 daughter (R) has a birthday near the end of the summer holidays. In the same week we celebrate Daddy's birthday, my closest friend's daughter's and husband's birthday. I love this week for its happiness, parties and cake. I hate it because it means the summer holidays are almost over, and that brings back the school run, organising after school clubs, endless lunch boxes and husband's long working hours. I hate being apart from them, from my husband, and the empty nest they leave.

R decided this year that she didn't want a birthday party, but a sleepover instead. I agreed, she made the invitations and gave them out. Before I knew it, I had a gaggle (or a giggle?) of girls eagerly anticipating entertainment, nail polishing, pizza and general party fun. Fast forward 11 or so hours and I am in a state of collapse on the sofa, completely exhausted and definitely not feeling the love for dragging myself out for a 30 minute run.

I even sent a text to The Boss (as my coach is affectionately known) asking how to jiggle the time and that I might miss my planned session. His concern was my well-being, which was kind, but in my heart I knew I had to get out and keep going. The marathon training is going to test my commitment, endurance and willingness to keep on keeping on, so feeling tired can be no excuse.

My eldest daughter has been asking to come out for a while, so I took the opportunity to spend some time with her. Within 0.06 seconds of me asking her if she'd like to go for a run with me, she was changed and at the door with trainers on. What more motivation did I need than a beaming 10 year old, champing at the bit to go out with Mummy?!

C proudly ran a full mile with me, and then got the giggles because of her jelly legs and so we walked. The walk home was fantastic. We held hands and chatted uninterrupted all the way. She is so full of life and spirit, and even though the run wasn't as planned, it was just what I needed. So, even though that day the going seemed too tough to keep going, I learnt that going back to basics and getting out is more than enough. I was just lucky to share it with a very, very, charming running buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment