Saturday 27 December 2014

Festive runs and all that winter brings

In my last blog post, I shared my random but rather grandiose plan to run on Christmas Day and the fantastic support I had received. Since that post, the support has continued and I am absolutely gobsmacked (but very pleased, obviously!) to say that the fundraising pot has just tipped over a staggering £310! This takes me to 31% of my target £1000; if you are reading this and you have contributed to my fundraising, then I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

The Festive period has been spent with my husband's side of the family. My brother was working, as he always has to at Christmas, but I did spend my birthday with him and his girlfriend, with Paul and the girls. We had a fantastic day together in Brighton, with ice skating for the children and onto a lovely Italian for a meal and Prosecco for me! Father Christmas was kind and generous as always but most importantly I was with the people who mean the most to us. My parents, although in a different country with my Uncle were with us in spirit and in the iPad thanks to FaceTime! We missed them and I'm not sure that they will be allowed out of the country over Christmas ever again.

Now I have warmed the cockles of your heart with festive cheer, allow me to bring you crashing back to reality with.... a chest infection. All together now, pantomime style - "Booooooooooo!" As the last week of the school term came to a close, I could feel the inevitable happening. I have been so lucky so far this year, and have managed to stave off the bugs despite the children bringing home more than one cough, cold or sore throat. After a brief stay in hospital about 4 years ago with a nasty chest infection, I am not ashamed to say they scare the bejeezus out of me and I don't fancy a recurrence of that!

Knowing I had to be careful, but also committed to my training plan I headed back out to test my capability. I had completed my long run and although fine while running, the vice-like tightness in my chest when I got home was not pleasant. I managed a pitiful 2 miles, but sensibly headed home not feeling good. I had to take the advice I would give to someone else - rest. As the days passed, my Christmas Day run looked less and less likely. On Christmas Eve I set out for a 5k easy run, again wanting to test myself and how the cold air affected the cough. Once again I was OK while running, slightly tight in the chest but not too uncomfortable, but as soon as I stopped I felt as though I had the Jolly Green Giant sitting on me. Reaching out to the fountain of knowledge that is Run Mummy Run, I posted asking for advice on how to run the following day with my symptoms, but safely. The overwhelming response was - don't run. I spoke to The Boss, hoping that he would say something different, but again the advice was clear. Get well first.

As we drove to my in-laws on Christmas morning in perfect running weather, I couldn't hide my disappointment. I felt like the old me had crept back in... grand ideas that are never followed through. I felt like a quitter, like I had let every single person who had sponsored me down. The whole point of the run was to honour the children at GOSH who had no choice to be in hospital, who couldn't go celebrate in the warmth and comfort of their own homes. And there was I taking the coward's way out. However, as I looked at the girls in the car I reminded myself that they needed me to be fit and healthy to care for them. The run has been postponed, not cancelled indefinitely.

So, watch this space. The 8 miles will be done, and they will be done soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment