Monday 29 December 2014

Marathon training starts.... NOW! Oh. My. Days.

It wasn't long ago that both Brighton Half and full Marathons were events that were happening sometime in the future, that I would think about (read: worry) after Christmas. After all, Christmas was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages away and so there was no need to think, worry or plan for it too much.

Except Christmas came around and went again very, very quickly. And all of a sudden there is a self-styled marathon training plan blu-tacked to my kitchen cupboard. Now it is looming over me like a large, grey cloud filled with self-doubt and fear.

I went to see The Boss at the end of last week, taking along with me the Bupa training plan I had downloaded off t'internet. I was never that happy with it - I felt that it was too generic and prescriptive for Joe Bloggs. Having only really glanced at it (I was quite happy in denial that this was ever really happening) I hadn't noticed that the Long Sunday Runs (LSRs) weren't really that long at all. He confirmed that it was a bit light, and gave me some homework to research various published plans and to take out the bits I liked to personalise my own plan.

I worked hard on a 15 week plan, incorporating the Half Marathon too and I think I've got it. Even though I have written it myself, it is still as intimidating as picking up Tolstoy's War and Peace for the first time. I tapped into huge sources of running information and then the Run Mummy Run and UKRunChat communities both helped pull it apart and put it back together again. One or two 'armchair critics' were harsh in their comments, but like most things in life they had to be filtered out and the kindness of others focussd on.

There is a huge amount of work involved in not just getting around the two courses, but getting around safely and not too slowly. Time probably shouldn't be too much of a consideration, and my priority is to finish in one piece, however I still have time targets in mind. This has helped customise the plan which incorporates cross training, core strength, hill repeats and various levels of running efforts.

Seeing the commitment I need to do this well is frightening. I will never forget the pride I felt in my friend as she crossed the finish lines of the Half and Marathons last year, but I don't think I fully appreciated how much work she had put into being there. My biggest concern is that I am not going to be able to fulfil the training required; it is so difficult to get out in the weekdays which I must do to build the strength and fitness I need for the LSRs, and ultimately for the 26.2 mile slog in April. I know that I have two options: do it well, or bow out. I am not giving up so I need to (wo)man up and get on with it!

The running buggy is fixed and ready to go. The bike is oiled and ready to go. The treadmill is up and ready for the shorter runs when I haven't been able to run outside. My drawer is stuffed full of running kit. My parents have bought me a subscription to Runner's World for Christmas which is packed full of nutrition, tips, help and advice.

So, this is it. No excuses. Marathon training is here.....hold my hand please - I'm going to need it!


Facebook Page
JustGiving Page




No comments:

Post a Comment