Saturday 18 October 2014

GSR is approaching... time to plan big!

Great South Run is a mere 8 days away, and despite feeling ready for the big day I don't entirely feel prepared. My last long run of the training plan last weekend, 8.2 miles, was hard work. The difference between getting out four times a week and getting out as and when I can has been a HUGE lesson. I have definitely dropped form, and with this comes big mental blocks of 'I can't do this'. This feeling wasn't so evident while I was with L, she really keeps me going, but I am concerned that the negativity is going to hit me during the race - both in my head and in my legs.

GSR has in previous years, been blighted by bad weather, the wind (not from the runners!) has been a challenge - especially considering the coastal setting. With this in mind, my race plan is simple. To steal Nike's captioning... Just Do It!

After a week or two of gentle recovery running, my intention is to get back on it. My next big run is Brighton Half Marathon in February. I've also registered for the Brooks Brighton 10k in November, but I feel confident with this distance and the Half Marathon training will account for this. There are several training plans available online which I have looked at, but they all seem so impersonal.

I'll have to openly admit to being a bit fickle. I have some brilliant ideas at times (well, I think they are), I fling myself at it 100% but get bored quickly and stop. I made tiaras for a while, got quite a few bridal orders and was attending plenty of wedding fayres and getting to know a few people in the industry. I'm not sure if it was too easy, too hard or what but I quit fairly early on.

Knowing my tendency for flamboyancy, I approached running with caution, and at times I have wondered if it is just going to be another one of 'those' projects. The blog, my Facebook Page, my family & friends' support, along with encouragement from The Boss seem to be preventing that happening. I am absolutely committed to completing the 1000 Miles not only to the best of my abilities, but also safely. I wanted to put that out there, publicly, to make sure I don't quit... a bit like an insurance policy.

Running safely has to be a priority for me. In just a few months, I have already experienced injury and I am keen to stay as injury free as possible. The other 'safely' I need to consider is fuelling my runs. I'm a picky eater, and left to my own devices without children to cook for, I would live on Dairy Milk, crisps and full fat Coca-Cola. Confessing this to The Boss resulted in raised eyebrows! I am one of those 'lucky' people who has never had to give much consideration to what I eat, so I am in unfamiliar territory now thinking about calories and making sure my daily intake is not only enough, but also replaces the calories I am burning on long runs (more dairy milk for me hahaha!).

So, it is here in black and white. I promise I will fuel my running properly, look after myself, and listen to what The Boss is telling me. I can't promise to always do as I am told, but hey. Life would be boring without mischief!








No comments:

Post a Comment