Sunday 12 October 2014

Long Runday Sunday... and the two annoying things were...

... people and their dogs!

Oh. My. Goodness. I can't say that I'm a dog lover, but I don't mind them. By mile four of today's run though I was close to hating every dog and its owner. Actually, that is unfair. There were some cute puppies out there and some nice, responsible dog owners. They were the ones who had their pets either on leads or secure.

The rest of them, well they are lucky that their pampered pooches didn't end up flying through the air as I tripped over them. As for the people who can't be bothered to pick up the poo off the pavements, or hid it under leaves; you are the most disgusting creatures out there.

We ran along the seafront today, a nice wide open space with plenty of room for all to share - walkers, children on their bikes and scooters, adults on skates, skateboards and runners. Our path narrows as it is sandwiched between the beach and the overdeveloped area near the sailing club, but there are still plenty of people out enjoying the fresh air. Everyone has a right to use this public space, but there are some ignorant and selfish individuals out there who don't give a damn if they obstruct the pathway or not. I appreciate that if we come up behind someone that they don't hear us, or don't have time to move, fair enough. But people who are walking four abreast and are watching you run towards them, and still don't drop in behind one another to allow adequate space on the footpath are rude. Just rude.

At one point today, L and I were in a good pace and we could see several people in the middle of the path, not one of them moved to allow us (or anyone else!) through. L had to run on the beach pebbles, I went to the other side of them, on the grass. Stupidly, these people did not keep their dogs secure as we passed and I had to make a sudden stop as a small-breed-pooch suddenly appeared at my feet. I felt my ankle take the full impact of this, and immediately tighten. I was really annoyed!!

Another dog owner thought it was a good idea to throw the dog's ball from behind us to land at L's feet. We are lucky that neither L or the dog were injured as she dodged it.

The ignorant. selfish people are fortunately in the minority. Most people were pleasant, smiley and had the common sense to share the footpath with all of the other people who were using it. However, the rant reflects those who were most memorable, and if my ankle flares up because of one person being careless and selfish then I will not be best pleased. And maybe, just maybe, next time I won't stop....

Miles to date: 90.42
Miles to go: 909.58








No comments:

Post a Comment