Saturday 11 October 2014

Running Fast and Running Far

This weekend has been the test of my newly-diagnosed calcaneofibular ligament injury. It has been taped into a supportive position for a few days, and yesterday was the first day my physio allowed me to run.


I have followed his advice religiously, and have braved a different type of ice bucket challenge! Two minutes in ice and two minutes in hot water for a total of twenty minutes, much to the daughters' amusement as I squeal a little with the iced water! I've found the ice really painful, almost unbearable, and have been watching the time tick down knowing that the warmth will soon follow.

I have also followed regimental resistance exercises, using a large rubber band type thingy and being very careful to control each movement rather than allowing my foot to 'ping' back into a neutral position. That is harder than it sounds!

Friday had a very large, grey cloud of doubt over it. My ankle was really achy, and it was beginning to feel very uncomfortable to walk. I was desperate to get out and run on Saturday, needing to run off the stresses of the week, and there I was sat with my foot aloft and tears flowing.

Saturday came, and after a busy day with the girls I had to run. An amusing text message conversation with The Boss ensued before I went out:

Me: I'm off out for a run, got to get out
Boss: OK, go easy and let me know how the ankle is. What's the plan?
Me; To run! weeeeeeeeeee aeroplane arms!!!
Boss: Really? Do you think that's a good idea?
Me: I think it is a bloody marvellous idea darling!!!
Boss: I think we should talk about this first....

Feeling mischievous, I set off with slim intentions of holding back or taking it easy. My justification is that I have to balance my mental health with my physical health and I needed to go. Despite feeling a drop in my fitness levels, my legs carried me off into a 7.30 minute / mile. Lungs objecting, I held back a bit fearing I wouldn't make a complete 2 mile circuit at that speed. My pace settled into around a 9 minute / mile and with feeling more comfortable, I diverted away from the turning which would take me on the shorter 2 mile route, and found myself in the familiar territory of my normal 5k. I knew I was potentially pushing my luck with running further than planned, and not knowing how the ankle injury was going to hold up but my ever supportive husband was on stand-by to collect me if I needed him to. Spurred on by my Garmin beeping 'Ahead of Pace' at me, I allowed myself to run freely. After all, I was listening to my body, wasn't I?!

Feeling a twinge of discomfort in my ankle, my sensible head took over and instead of completing my 5k route (which involves a steady hill climb at the end) I ran along the flat. My burning lungs only inflamed my anger at my loss of fitness so I pushed as hard as I dare. 23mins 52seconds later, I allowed myself to stop and walked up my hill to warm down. My lovely family were waiting for me, the girls ready with a whoop and a cheer and Husband ready with an ice bucket.... not to tip over my head but to dunk my foot in!

The following morning, my ankle was stiff but not painful. The planned long run of 7 miles felt like a big question mark looming over me. I had a couple of invitations to run with friends, but my legs wanted to go ASAP and I needed to know if I could do this or not. This run would be crucial in my decision to go ahead with Great South Run or not.

Route planned, drink in hand, I set off feeling slightly daunted at the distance I was about to attempt. I was careful not to set off too fast,aware that I needed to save both my ankle and my stamina for 7 miles. Potentially 7 long miles.

I ran down to the seafront, and was surprised at how quickly I was there. Another family favourite place where we've only ever driven to. The morning sun made the water sparkle, and the beautiful view was a welcome distraction. I found myself thinking about how much I liked living by the sea, despite a passionate hatred of swimming and getting wet!

Before I knew it, I had turned the corner to start my homeward bound leg of my journey. I even managed to answer a telephone call from my brother-in-law while running! Feeling like I was on my way home eased the 5k block. My body must be too used to running this distance because it expects me to stop! Keeping going is a bit of a challenge, but it is another mental strength which needs exercising as much as the legs!

5 and 7 miles were worrying from a pain point of view. My ankle was really objecting, but I had really settled into the run and I wasn't ready to go home. The morning air was warming but still fresh, and my mind felt free of stress and worry. I felt like I could go on a lot, lot longer.... Let's just hope I feel like this in 2 weeks time at Great South Run!

Following my new experience of running long distance came another new experience... an ice BATH. I'll leave that one to your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment